- Learning Score:- John Davitt’s new lesson planning tool at http://www.learningscore.com/ looks like a fantastic tool for planning and storing lesson plans. Free to download.
Screencasting & Vodcasting
- Jing:– http://www.techsmith.com/jing/free (an excellent free to use download, with Pro version if you have some budget). It allows you to do video and still screen captures with a minimum of fuss. Exports to a Flash file which can be embedded in an HTML page.
- Flipping The Classroom Ning:- a great resource for exploring using vodcasts in the classroom at http://vodcasting.ning.com/
- FLV to AVI:- File conversion software available free at http://flvtoavi.com/, which allows you to convert video file formats, and capture YouTube videos to your hard drive.
- TweetChat: A great site http://tweetchat.com which allows you to follow a hashtag and tweet back. Effectively allows Conference Tweeting or a Class Tweet feed to display prettily on an electronic whiteboard.
- Plagiarism Detection:- There is a very useful free plagiarism tool called Paper Rater at http://www.paperrater.com/ which is very student-friendly, is anonymous, and generates spelling, grammar and plagiarism reports for students to use before submitting any paper. A great tool for teachers is Turnitin at http://www.turnitin.com – it is not free, however.
- Word Clouds:- at http://www.wordle.net/ you can generate word clouds (wordles) from any list of words, or text which you paste into a box. save this as an image and use it in your presentations or worksheets.
- Newspaper article images:- at http://www.fodey.com you can generate an image of a newspaper that you create. You enter the name of the paper, the date, the headline, and text, and a jpeg of the article is generated. Great for teaching Literature or History.
- Graphics & Sound Editing Applications in The Cloud:- at http://www.aviary.com you can access a range of graphics and sound editing applications which are both powerful and free! You can create a Class account, and create projects as well, which is an added advantage for teachers.
- Matrix Games:- http://www.hamsterpress.net/engle_matrix_games
- Dungeons & Dragons:- http://www.wizards.com/DnD/
- Diplomacy:- http://www.diplom.org/index.py
- Nobel Prize Games:- http://nobelprize.org/educational/